Melphalan tablets are used for:
Treating symptoms of certain types of cancer (multiple myeloma, ovarian cancer). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Melphalan tablets are an alkylating agent. It works by destroying resting and rapidly dividing tumor cells in certain types of cancer.
Do NOT use melphalan tablets if:
you are allergic to any ingredient in melphalan tablets
you have used melphalan tablets before and it did not work
you have taken or will be taking palifermin within 24 hours before or after taking melphalan tablets
you are taking nalidixic acid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using melphalan tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with melphalan tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are able to become pregnant
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bone marrow problems, low white blood cell count, low platelet count, an infection, kidney problems, shingles, or chickenpox
- if you have had chemotherapy or radiation treatment
- if you have recently had or are scheduled to have a vaccine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with melphalan tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cisplatin because the risk of melphalan tablets’s side effects may be increased
- Carmustine (BCNU), cyclosporine, or nalidixic acid because serious lung, kidney, or bowel problems may occur
- Palifermin because if mouth or tongue sores develop, they may be more severe or last longer
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if melphalan tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
The generic Melphalan is manufactured by 3 companies. The information provided includes the cost of the drug and the type of drug – tablet, capsule, syrup, cream, gel, ointment, liquid or injection.
To view the price of the drug click on the brand name.
Please also note that Medindia’s database currently has 8 Brands of Generics of Melphalan listed. New generics are constantly being updated.